NetworkManager, Wireless and Fedora FC4

Preston Kutzner grdnwsl at mrichi.com
Fri Jun 24 14:42:17 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 09:26 -0500, Preston Kutzner wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 06:44 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 08:38 -0500, Preston Kutzner wrote:
> >

> > > I'm having problems getting NetworkManager to work correctly on my
> > > ThinkPad T30, with the built-in wireless (Prism 2.5 chipset).  By
> > > default Fedora uses the orinoco drivers, which do work, and I can get my
> > > wireless card working, but I have to activate it manually every time
> > > through the 'Network' panel..  I've got the latest version (cvs packages
> > > mentioned in the clemson walk-through) installed, but I can't get it to
> > > find any networks around it.  Anybody know of any tricks to get this
> > > working with my card?
> > ----
> > one of the problems with laptops and pcmcia cards is that the network
> > services load before the pcmcia service and though it is counter-
> > intuitive, ONBOOT = YES makes it not work and ONBOOT = NO makes it work
> > automatically at startup. I would speculate that the reason is that when
> > the pcmcia service starts, if it detects the network device as already
> > working, it won't bother with initializing it.
>
> Unfortunately for me, this is a pci card, and not a pcmcia. :-/  I'm
> trying to get the built-in wireless working.  Well, it's working and
> all, just not with NetworkManager (nm-app).

As an aside, would this have anything to do with the fact that FC is
trying to use the orinoco drivers, as opposed to, say, the hostap
drivers?  I've tried to install the hostap drivers, but FC insists on
the /etc/sysconfig/hwconf file and the /etc/modules.conf file to use the
hostap drivers instead of the orinoco, but every time I reboot my
computer, some script changes the /etc/sysconfig/hwconf file back to
using the orinoco drivers, so then the system loads both and the card
won't work at all.  Also, none of the network apps want anything except
for an ethX interface.  I can't even tell them to look for a wlanX
interface. :-/  Anyone know how to change this or to make FC use hostap
drivers instead of orinoco?
--
Preston Kutzner | Network Administrator