X server not reponding

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jun 24 14:44:42 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 10:05, Dan Track wrote:
> Hi
>
> isn't xhost only used when using the X server. I'm sure ssh traffic
> doesn't need the xserver to grant it permission.
>
> Dan

If I understand the problem he is using ssh to establish a connection to
a remote system and is trying to run a program that will display a
window back on to the local system.  On the local system you have to
tell it to allow a remote system to display a window.  To open it up to
everyone you use "xhost +".  However in some environments that can, and
has, resulted in pranks being played when someone directs
windows/displays at someone else's computer.  You can restrict this to
specific machines using xhost.

What makes me think that is the problem is the error message saying:

Xlib: connection to "localhost:10.0" refused by server"

The server with X11 forwarding is the local machine where the display
is.  So I am pretty sure running the command xhost + would most likely
fix the problem.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Education is what survives when what has been learnt has been forgotten.
		-- B.F. Skinner