Re: Using FC3: four outstanding problems and a search suggestion

Markku Kolkka wrote:
fergus kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika perjantai, 24. kesäkuuta 2005 12:35):

2. On booting up smartd always fails. It's the only thing that
does. I don't know how to make it work, and, as a less
powerful solution but one that would likewise suppress this
nagging announcement, I don't know what initialisation file to
tweak so that no attempt is even made to use it.

Do you have SATA hard disks? Smartd doesn't support SATA (because SATA drivers don't support it) so it always fails in a SATA system. "chkconfig --level 2345 smartd off" will turn it off. Otherwise, edit /etc/smartd.conf

If smartd doesn't work with SATA drives, what should we be using?

--
Robin Laing