Problems with Gateway LCD Monitor

I'm trying to get my new lcd monitor (Gateway FPD1760) to work on an
existing FC 2 system where the display is  already set for a 19" CRT
monitor and an Nvidia GeForce 2 video card.

I started in run level 3 and tried the command 'system-config-display'
but the monitor showed a blank screen and the words 'frequency out of
range'.

I've varied the 'clock' menu setting from min to max with no change.

Another FC 2 system we have has a BenQ LCD monitor and it works OK.

Any ideas?

Is there any way to start as if this were a clean FC 2 installation
before display setup?

Thanks.

Tom Browder