How can I use CD Player? [SECOND (better) question]

James Bridge james at xmas.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 24 22:43:05 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 14:18 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> Hoffmann wrote:
> > --- Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:

> >>I very rarely just play a CD on the computer
> >>anymore.  But if you want
> >>to just play, follow the original reply.
> >>
> >>When you press play, and nothing happens, does this
> >>mean that the CD
> >>does not even spin?  Or that the CD spins and there
> >>is no sound?  What
> >>program are you trying to use?  I have at least
> >>three different
> >>players on my machine.  Of course there is one other
> >>question, is this
> >>a standard CD or a copy protected CD that will only
> >>play in Windows?
> >>I have had one of those and it required Windows to
> >>play on a computer.
> >>  It was in the fine print on the CD.
> >>
> >>I have never had a problem just playing a CD in
> >>Linux since I started
> >>using Linux at home.  DVD's have been more of an
> >>issue but not that much.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Robin Laing
> >

> > Hi Robin,

> > ORIGINAL STANDARD CD I just bought at Amazon.com.
> > Do you have any hint? I am really anxious to listen my
> > CDs on Fedora.
> > Thanks!
> > Hoffmann
> >

> When you say Original Standard CD, are you talking about the standard
> or the title of the CD?  What is the CD title?
>
> Looking at the standards, there are multiple standards and that can
> make a difference.  A CD that is a standard CD may not play as a
> normal CD and still have copy protection.  This is looking more and
> more to be the case.  Some copy protection may not be indicated on the
> CD in any way.
>
> Have you tried a different player as suggested?  How about playing
> other CD's?  If you are talking about a new CD, I would be tempted to
> think that there is a good chance to have copy protection.  Now there
> is some CD being manufactured that will work well in WMP but you are
> toast if you try any other computer OS.  I have come across this on
> one CD that I purchased.  I could not play it on my computer or my old
> CD player.  I returned the CD and downloaded the music from the net.
> Try an old CD and work with that first.
>
> I would do a further test but I don't have audio CD's handy and work
> is almost over.
>
> --
> Robin Laing

I play all my music cds through the computer, since my cd player broke.
All work fine with FC3 and 4.
But I recall that when first trying to play them, on FC3, I got no
sound. It turned out to be due simply to the wrong setting on the volume
control (Applications > Sound and Video). At that time gnome had a
default setting of silent and reset this on every reboot. Now works
properly, though.
--
James Bridge <james at xmas.demon.co.uk>