Problems with Kernel 2.6.12.1 on FC3 / FC4

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Fri Jun 24 23:11:54 UTC 2005

Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 13:58 -0700, John Wendel wrote:
>
>>Built kernel 2.6.12.1 with my custom config file (same one I use for
>>2.6.11 successfully) on both boxes. Build seemed a little flakey on
>>the FC4 box (lots of warnings), but WTH. Things seemed perfectly fine
>>on the FC3 box.
>

> I hope you did a "make oldconfig" before you compiled the kernel!
>
> Although 2.6.12 can finally be compiled with gcc4 (FC4's default) I
> doubt it is officially supported. Therefore you would better use "make
> CC=gcc32 HOSTCC=gcc32" when compiling, this will also get you rid of the
> warning messages.
>

>>FC4 - boots fine, cannot login. Get login prompt, enter user id and
>>password, fails, returns to login prompt. Messages file indicates that
>>there is a pam problem getting/updating the groupid <something> (don't
>>have the log handy, but it definitely was a pam failure). Reverted
>>back to the FC4 kernel.
>

> I have seen the exactly same problem with kernel 2.6.11 when pam
> changed /etc/pam.d/login to include pam_loginuid, I doubt this is
> related to the 2.6.12 kernel
>
> Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I always do "make mrproper", "make oldconfig", "make menuconfig"
(usually, I like to tweak things), "make".

Thanks for the "gcc32" tip. I'll give it a try in a minute.

I'm not very smart about pam, guess it's time to get educated. Since
FC3 doesn't have this problem, I agree that it seems unrelated to the
new kernel. But then, why doesn't the stock FC4 kernel have the same
problem?

Regards,

John