Installing Grub on a bootable CD

I don't want to install grub on the HD, but I instead I want to be
able to boot it using a boot CD.  This is because I don't want to
destroy the current MBR.  I have the following questions:

1.  Can I use the rescue CD to boot into linux which is installed on the HD?
2.  If I can't do the above, what are my options?