FC4 tar is out of control

I use tar with the --newer option to create incremental backups. However,
with tar-1.15.1, which is part of the FC4 distribution, I get an error
messages for each file which is not newer than the specified date -- which
means that I am getting email messages from cron which are multiple
megabytes in length. Does anyone know how to suppress these messages
without sending the entire output to /dev/null?

-- Chuck