newalias permissions problem

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Jun 25 14:41:44 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 25.06.2005 schrieb Matthew Saltzman um 16:07:

> In my freshly installed FC4,
>
>  	$ ls -l /etc/aliases*
>  	-rw-r--r--  1 root root   1512 Apr 25 12:48 /etc/aliases
>  	-rw-r-----  1 root smmsp 12288 Jun 24 20:27 /etc/aliases.db
>
> so the fix for the original problem would just be
>
>  	chown root /etc/aliases.db
>
> The rest of the permissions were fine.

>  		Matthew Saltzman

The group ownership by smmsp of the aliases.db isn't correct, following
the Sendmail documentation. Please see "FILE AND MAP PERMISSIONS" at top
of /usr/share/doc/sendmail/README.

"If the permissions 0640 are used, be sure that only trusted users
belong
to the group assigned to those files.  Otherwise, files should not even
be group readable."

I even don't see a need for the MSP user to be able to read the
aliases.db.

And "smmsp" is not a trusted user - and never should be one! In the past
it has been one by the default Sendmail configuration, but that has been
corrected by the maintainer after I informed him about this severe setup
fault.

As a reference to former discussion:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-January/msg06394.html

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC2smp
Serendipity 16:40:39 up 4 days, 54 users, load average: 0.14, 0.19, 0.15