Re: FC4 tar is out of control

Gérard Milmeister wrote:
On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 14:19 +0200, Mogens Kjaer wrote:
I don't think star is present when you boot in rescue mode,
making it difficult to do a bare metal recovery of the system.

If you make the star archive GNU tar compatible, you combine the convenience of creation using star and the compatibility with tar during rescue mode.

I use star to back up an ACL enabled ext3 /home partition. I had to make this a separate partition so that I could:

1. restore /boot and / from rescue mode with tar.
2. boot.
3. restore /home with star.

Mogens
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk crc dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk