Fedora as Appliance

My goal: To create a custom distribution of Linux (hopefully using Fedora) to act strictly as a SMTP, POP, and web server.  I want to essentially try building a Fedora-based internet appliance for my mail server.

I want to build a Java/JSP-based email server... Java for the middle "worker" processes and JSP for configuration.  I have already build the majority of Java utilities, that will function behind the scenes, and am now working on the JSP-based web application to configure the various Java components.  I would hope to reuse existing reliable packages for the SMTP & POP3 pieces (for now).

I am looking for recommendations on the following...

    1. Recommendations for the SMTP & POP3 daemons / packages;
    2. Recommendations on the minimum packages needed for this;
    3. Recommendations on good "how to" articles for building custom distributions; and,
    4. Anything else that may be helpful.

As an FYI, I am building the Java/JSP pieces on Windows and testing on a FC4 virtual machine using VMWare.  I have an older machine that ran FC2 & FC3 perfectly.  Everything that is non-essential has been stripped out of the box (floppy, firewire, USB, sound card, etc.).  Once I am done with this, I will be installing on that older box.

Thanx,
Ryan