FC4 & yum : kudos and a small oddity

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Mon Jun 27 00:00:55 UTC 2005

On Sunday 26 June 2005 06:44, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 09:35:44AM -0400, beartooth wrote:
> > My machine was running Pan 0.14.2, and Pine 4.63 from an rpm with fc2 in
> > its name; I would also have gone for that Pan release with a fresh
> > install.
> > Yum switched Pan to 0.14.2.91, and rpm -Uvh on a generic Fedora rpm from
> > UW would not take, saying the installed version was later.
>
> 0.14.2.91 *is* newer than 0.14.2....

So, what is the problem with Pan 0.14.2.91?  Why would you need an earlier
version?

> > I expect I can solve the Pine oddity by running "rpm -e pine" and then
> > installing the generic; that will be easy, since Pine was barely
> > configured yet -- on this particular machine.
> >
> > Doing the same with Pan will be a bit of a hassle, especially on other
> > machines, since all the data for a fully configured instance of Pan (at
> > least as I run it) is bigger than a CD will hold.
>
> I'm not exactly sure I understand the problem you have. But in any case,
> this shouldn't be an issue, since all of this data will be in your home
> directory and not managed by RMM.

Again, why the problem with and FC4 version of Pine as opposed to an FC2?
You're better off with the newer version that is designed to run under FC4.
The older version probably is not fully compatible with FC4.

I find that it is better not to upgrade between versions of Fedora but to do a
clean install, saving the /home partition.

When you have a "separate" /home partition (and possibly separate partition
for storing things like source files, downloads and other important date),
you can install without all the leftover cruft from previous versions and
still save your settings.

> --
> Matthew Miller           mattdm at mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
> Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>
> Current office temperature: 86 degrees Fahrenheit.

Tom
--
Tom Taylor
Linux user #263467