Re: deleting login history after logging out

Oliver Leitner wrote:
Ankush Grover wrote:
Please tell me how to delete the user's bash history file after he or
she logs out.
I tried this /etc/skel/bash_logout

rm -f $HOME/bash_history

But it is not working.

Can anyone tell me how to do this .I want to do it for every user.

Dear Ankush

the easiest way would be a cronjob, that does a history -c every 5
minutes or so.

on a wider approach you might wanna try to make your own daemon, that
does the job.

i hope that helps you further

Wouldn't a better method be to prevent the creation of the history file in the first place?

One way to do this might be:

# echo "unset HISTFILE" > /etc/profile.d/nohistfile.sh
# chmod 755 /etc/profile.d/nohistfile.sh

I haven't tried this but it *should* work.

Paul.