Eclipse FC4 and Java 5.0

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Mon Jun 27 17:13:04 UTC 2005

Herbert Carl Meyer <hcmeyer <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I am using a new FC4 Eclipse GCJ and have imported a project that was
> produced with Java 5.0. I have set the compiler level to 5.0, but I am
> getting errors about the pluggable look and feel that the project uses,
> that were new with Java 5. Can I use these with Eclipse GCJ ?

gcj does not yet include 1.5-level features.  GNU Classpath has work towards
this [1] and gcjx [2] is a work-in-progress new frontend for gcj with
1.5-level support (I could be wrong with some terminology here so please
forgive me if I am).

One of the goals of Eclipse 3.1 is 1.5-level support.  This includes the
compiler, ecj, which is what we (Fedora) use as our bytecode compiler.  If
you are not running on a 1.5-level JVM, however, you will not be able to take
advantage of these features.

So the short answer:  no, you can't use java 1.5-level features at runtime
with our stock setup.  You could always build and install Sun's 1.5 JDK (as
per previous messages on this list and others) and set it as your java and
javac alternatives.

Andrew