Re: yum - lack of features

John Summerfied wrote:
Paul Howarth wrote:

I tried the above once, and got in a mess;
"yum install" was not a straightforward inverse of "yum remove".

Yes, this is true.

Consider the package sendmail-cf, which depends on sendmail.

"yum remove sendmail" will remove sendmail-cf too, because it depends on sendmail.

"yum install sendmail" will install sendmail, but not sendmail-cf, since sendmail itself does not depend on sendmail-cf.

The correct inverse is
yum install sendmail-cf
because that's what the dependencies say: sendmail-cf depends on sendmail,

Think about it.

True, but I was agreeing with the statement that `"yum install" was not a straightforward inverse of "yum remove"', which is true.

The inverse of a "yum remove" may require specifying multiple packages for a "yum install". Consider packages a, b, and c, where b and c are dependent on a. "yum remove a" will remove all three packages, and "yum install b c" would be needed to get them all back again.

Paul.