Re: yum - lack of features

mnisay wrote:

True, but I was agreeing with the statement that `"yum install" was not a straightforward inverse of "yum remove"', which is true.

The inverse of a "yum remove" may require specifying multiple packages for a "yum install". Consider packages a, b, and c, where b and c are dependent on a. "yum remove a" will remove all three packages, and "yum install b c" would be needed to get them all back again.

Paul.

Consider what happens if part of /usr/lib/i18n disappears and I want to get them back from glibc and glibc-common. The --force option on rpm is about the only way to shoe-horn things back in.

Jeff Voskamp