Re: yum - lack of features

Paul Howarth wrote:

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 14:09 -0400, Jeff Voskamp wrote:

mnisay wrote:

True, but I was agreeing with the statement that `"yum install" was not a straightforward inverse of "yum remove"', which is true.

The inverse of a "yum remove" may require specifying multiple packages for a "yum install". Consider packages a, b, and c, where b and c are dependent on a. "yum remove a" will remove all three packages, and "yum install b c" would be needed to get them all back again.

Paul.

Consider what happens if part of /usr/lib/i18n disappears and I want to get them back from glibc and glibc-common. The --force option on rpm is about the only way to shoe-horn things back in.

Does "rpm -Uvh --replacefiles --replacepkgs glibc*-blah.rpm" not do the job? Is --force *really* necessary?

Paul.

From the man page:
   --force
             Same as using --replacepkgs, --replacefiles, and --oldpackage.
So for a package that's currently installed it's less typing.