Dialup -tabla rasa

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Jun 28 20:53:16 UTC 2005

Am Di, den 28.06.2005 schrieb Thomas W. Cranston um 22:17:

> I went over my notes and discovered that they were not as complete as
> needed to be. As a result I decided to reinstall FC3, and get a fresh start.
>
> I first used the network configuration application to configure the
> dialup. This time the modem came up as ttyS4.
>
> I got mesage:Cannot activate network device xxxxxxxx Failed to activate
> xxxxxxx with error 8
>
> Logged on yyyyyy at localhost, I opened a terminal and entered the command
> tail -f /var/log/messages, and got cannot open tail -f /var/log/messages
> for reading: Permission denied
>
> Someone suggested that I log on to a terminal as Su_-. I entered Su_- at
> the command line and got: bash:Su_- command not found
>
> Did they mean that I reboot, and enter Su_- at user name prompt?
>
> How and where do I invoke Su_-?

It is "su -"! No underscore, "-" is an option and is the short for of
"-l" (-> man su). And on Linux it matters whether you use lower or
capital letters.

> I understand that it is not wise to make changes to wvdial logged on as
> root!
>
> I then entered wvdial and got
> -->WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
> -->Warning: section[Dialer Defaults] does not exist in wvdial.conf.
> -->cannot open /dev/modem: Device or resource busy
> -->cannot open /dev/modem: Device or resource busy
> -->cannot open /dev/modem: Device or resource busy

You need to create a symlink: ln -s /dev/ttySX /dev/modem  (where X is
the number of the serial device).

> I logged out, and then tried to log in, entering Su_- at Username
>
> That did not work, so I logged in as root.
>
> I then entereed wvdial, and got:
> -->WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
> -->Warning: section[Dialer Defaults] does not exist in wvdial.conf.
> -->cannot open /dev/modem: No such file or directory
> -->cannot open /dev/modem: No such file or directory
> -->cannot open /dev/modem: No such file or directory
>
> I then entered: /etc/wvdial.conf , and got:
> bash: /etc/wvdial.conf: Permission denied
> /etc/wvdial.conf
> How can I execute the command /etc/wvdial.conf with out getting
> permission denied? I am assuming that since that I am logged on as
> root at localhost that I would have the permission.

vim /etc/wvdial.conf

It is a configuration file you need to open with an editor. It is
nothing to execute.

> Is there a way to log onto a terminal as super user, while I am logged
> on as xxxx at localhost?

See above.

Alexander

Serendipity 22:49:49 up 3 days, 5:41, load average: 0.16, 0.44, 0.38