Dialup -tabla rasa

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jun 29 07:03:34 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 15:17 -0500, Thomas W. Cranston wrote:
> I went over my notes and discovered that they were not as complete as
> needed to be. As a result I decided to reinstall FC3, and get a fresh start.
>
> I first used the network configuration application to configure the
> dialup. This time the modem came up as ttyS4.

Sounds like progress :-)

> I got mesage:Cannot activate network device xxxxxxxx Failed to activate
> xxxxxxx with error 8
>
> Logged on yyyyyy at localhost, I opened a terminal and entered the command
> tail -f /var/log/messages, and got cannot open tail -f /var/log/messages
> for reading: Permission denied
>
> Someone suggested that I log on to a terminal as Su_-. I entered Su_- at
> the command line and got: bash:Su_- command not found
>
> Did they mean that I reboot, and enter Su_- at user name prompt?
>
> How and where do I invoke Su_-?

They probably said to enter the command "su -" to become root, not "Su
-".

> I understand that it is not wise to make changes to wvdial logged on as
> root!

Using "su" like this is the same as being root.

It's probably worth trying to run "wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf" as root
to see if things work better now.

> I then entered: /etc/wvdial.conf , and got:
> bash: /etc/wvdial.conf: Permission denied
> /etc/wvdial.conf
> How can I execute the command /etc/wvdial.conf with out getting
> permission denied? I am assuming that since that I am logged on as
> root at localhost that I would have the permission.

/etc/wvdial.conf is a configuration file, not a program you can run. It should get set up if you run wvdialconf as described above.

> Is there a way to log onto a terminal as super user, while I am logged
> on as xxxx at localhost?

Yes, use "su -" as mentioned above.

Paul.
--