yum - lack of features

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Wed Jun 29 09:01:44 UTC 2005

Hi

> Installing and using yumdownloader or apt-get may paper over some
> cracks, but the cracks are still there. When discussing Linux
> distributions, one can't really count anything that's not part of the
> actual distribution.

I am just letting you know that your criticisms have been addressed not
to mention that apt-get is available for FC3 too. Fedora Extras *is*
part of Fedora as the actual distribution. It is developed very much in
sync with the core repository

> I know some distros are part CD (or DVD) and part download: Debian and
> Ubuntu are both like this, but AFAIK FC3 is what's on the DVD image I
> downloaded.

Ubuntu isnt making available its entire Debian compatible subset within
CD's afaik. Fedora Extras isnt currently available as CD/DVD's. You are
free to do them yourself and share them with the rest of the community.
I am pretty sure you can also get some people involved if you ask in the
extras list . For a rapidly developed distribution like Fedora its going
to be outdated pretty soon anyway and I am not convinced its a good idea
but Fedora Core 5 plans includes several enhancements including a
repository aware installer and a CD Image general tool which might help you

http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FC5Future

regards
Rahul