how to fix fstab from fskck on bootup

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Wed Jun 29 14:22:02 UTC 2005

Dan Track wrote:

>Hi
>
>I've lost a partition, and now when fc4 boots up it asks me to fsck
>it, even though its not there. I would like to remove the label from
>fstab, but it won't let me because the filesystem is mounted as
>read-only. In addition I don't have a cdrom or floppy attached to the
>server. Is there a way for me to fix this.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

    Assuming that you didn't setup your filesystem to be read-only, boot
into single user, by hitting the "a" key in the grub screen, and
pressing "1", followed by <enter> and "b". when you get to the # prompt
you should be able to edit your fstab with vi or such ( don't rely on
everything you usually have to be accessible in single user mode. you
only have access to / partition and /boot iirc, so if you have separate
/usr /home etc. those will not be mounted.

    HTH

    Scott