Fedora Core 4 and Rhythmbox: Popping sound?

Anthony Dean adean75 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 29 14:07:50 UTC 2005

Hello...

When playing any sound file (mp3, ogg, flac) in Rhythmbox in Fedora Core
4 (which I recently installed), a popping/static sound plays for a
second at the start of each track, before playing the track itself
perfectly. What could be causing this sound, and how could I get rid of
it? The files all play perfectly in xmms.

System specs: a whitebox PC with 256 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, 2.4 ghz Celeron
processor, integrated audio (AC97). Everything worked fine audio-wise in
FC3. In multimedia systems selector, the settings were OSS for default
sink and ALSA for default source (trying to change both to OSS or ALSA
didn't work, just giving me error messages in Rhythmbox).

Anthony