More repositories to use with YUM

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0501.nospam at arcor.de
Wed Jun 29 16:30:03 UTC 2005

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:01:53 +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am Mi, den 29.06.2005 schrieb C.F. Scheidecker Antunes um 17:47:
>
> > Usually I change my /etc/yum.conf to have other servers other than
> > RedHat' s.
> >
> > I usually have:
> > [base]
> > name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
> > baseurl=http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/3/i386/os/
> >
> > [updates-released]
> > name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
> > baseurl=http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/updates/3/i386/
>
> Please do not edit the yum.conf to add repositories. [base] and
> [updates-released] are defined inside /etc/yum.repos.d/ and if you want
> to change their behaviour (fix, different mirror server), then please
> change those .repo files.

In addition to that, it kind of makes not much sense to use the
macros $basearch and $releasever in the repository name, but
hardcoded '3' and 'i386' in the baseurl. Just use $releasever and
$basearch there, too. It's easy to forget hardcoded versions after
an upgrade, and then you would still access old repositories.

--
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at users.sf.net>
Fedora Core release 5 (Development) - Linux 2.6.12-1.1400_FC5