Layer 7 filtering

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Jun 29 18:16:02 UTC 2005

Am Mi, den 29.06.2005 schrieb Ovidiu Lixandru um 20:09:

> I've got a RedHat Linux 9 router which provides net for a LAN via DNAT.

Sorry to say, but this is the wrong auditorium for Red Hat Linux 9
issues.

>   On this machine I plan to use layer 7 filtering in order to get rid of
> some unwanted instant messaging and p2p protocols for some of the
> internal IP's. So far, I've found l7-filter which seems to provide what
> I need.
> I've rebuilt the iptables-1.2.9-2.3.1 srpm including the l7-filter patch
> and it worked nicely.
> The ugly part comes with the kernel (2.4.20-8). I've deployed the srpm

O man, that old kernel is long. long time obsolete and a no-go for a
firewalling router! Have a close look at the Fedora Legacy Project.

> At this point, I'm pondering whether to switch to a recent RHEL 2.6
> kernel and try patching that or get some other layer 7 filtering
> software which may work nicely with the RH 2.4.20 kernel (is there any
> other?).

Migrate to Fedora - then you are right here (or get RHEL or CentOS and
use their communication routes).

Alexander

Serendipity 20:12:59 up 4 days, 3:05, load average: 0.10, 0.09, 0.09