FC4 good new tech, bad legacy support

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jun 29 21:39:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 16:35, Richard Kelsch wrote:
> Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 04:52, Richard Kelsch wrote:

> > > I like and want to use Linux, not spend hours working out problems in
> > > getting it to work.  BAD!  BAD!!  It's like buying a hydrogen powered
> > > car.  Sure, it's new, clean, and neato-keen with all the nerds out
> > > there, but your screwed being to actually fill it with fuel.  Shame on
> > > you if you live outside of Seattle or San Francisco (Fanboy capitals of
> > > the continent).  Your new, bitchin' car is a brick.  The same goes using
> > > FC4 outside it's core software, your PC is a brick as well.
> > >
> > Understand that FC is a test bed.  Red Hat is using it as a rapid
> > development platform.  They will take the things that work and
> > incorporate them into RHEL.  FC is a time based release, it will have
> > problems, guaranteed.  It says this on the main fedora web site.
> >
> > If you want a Red Hat like system that is more stable you should try
> > Centos.  It is a rebuilt version of the latest RHEL.  Currently it is
> > roughly equivalent to FC3 at the moment.

> What part of "test bed" did you not understand?  You even said it
> yourself.  I tested it and found flaws.  What?  Could it be you don't
> want to know about these issues?  How good is testing if you can't
> handle it when someone finds something wrong?  Think my friend.  This
> is me testing FC4 and finding what I consider problems.  Learn from
> these problems and understand the word "test" more thoroughly.  When
> you "test" you are looking for problems.  When a problem is found, it
> is a good idea to fix it.

I must have missed the part where you said you were testing things.  I
read your statement above "I like and want to use Linux, not spend hours
working out problems in getting it to work." to mean that you wanted a
stable release to run your software on.  I recommended Centos as a
viable option to that end.

Because FC4 is a test bed for many bleeding edge changes there will be
lots of problems that have to be sorted out.

If you are testing FC4 and find problems the proper thing to do is file
a bug report so the maintainers of the various packages can verify and
fix such problems.  Reporting the problems on the list will not
necessarily get the problem report in front of the programmer
responsible for that program or module.

If you understood the nature of FC4 then you should understand there
will be a certain amount of time that you will "spend hours working out
problems in getting it to work."  It is the nature of the beast.  :)

And if you have specific problems or questions there are many many
people on the list that are willing to try and help.  You just have to
ask. :)

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

network down, IP packets delivered via UPS