Has anyone successfully updated FC3 with FC4?

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Jun 30 00:34:28 UTC 2005

Todd Cary wrote:
> John et al -
>
> I know just enough about Linux to just keep the basics running, so
> excuse the fundamental nature of this question:
>
> How are the passwords handled for all of those /home dirs?  Or do you do
> a manual copy of each user (and I do not have a list of the passwords),
> or did you copy the password file (after combining the shadow password
> file with it)?

I didn't have many, so manually setting them was a proposition.

Debian (correctly in the view of many) starts UIDs at 1000, RH at 500.
That needs to be watched for if you physically take the disk or use some
other method of copying that doesn't translate UIDs.

The password file can be translated by some variation of
cat /etc/passwd \
   | awk -F: \
   '/[a-z0-9]+:[\*a-z0-9$]*:[1-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]/ {print "useradd "$1}'

Note that all my user accounts on all my systems have UIDs beginning
from 1000, and so that's what I'm searching for. Most F users would
follow RH conventions and start at 500 so that's probably what you
should search for, Alternatively, if all user homedirs are under /home,
search for that instead.

If anyone wants to pick holes in my regex, go to it. But, test your
expressions first: a lot that I expected to work didn't.

You can use a similar technique for copying encrypted passwords from
/etc/shadow, generating usermod commands instead.

I suggest saving each to a file so you can remove junk such as nfsnobody.

For further  information
man awk
man useradd
man usermod
man 7 regex

> Todd
>
> John Summerfied wrote:
>
>> BRUCE STANLEY wrote:
>>
>> <seriously-needed pruning>
>>

>>> Yes, you can save you home dir direwhere and then
>>> copy it back, but DO NOT copy back the ~/.kde
>>> kdeirectory.  Let KDE KDEate it new.  Don't know
>>> how gnome would react.
>>

>> OTOH I copied ~ from RHL 7.3 to Debian (Woody) with no drama, and
>> years later from Debian (Sarge) to FC3, again without problems.
>>
>> Not the original desktop though.

I discovered email going back to when I used RHL 7.3 It must have been
the original desktop.

--

Cheers
John