SSH trickery using -R

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Jun 30 00:51:38 UTC 2005

Deron Meranda wrote:

> You probably want -R 10002:localhost:22 instead.
>
> The first number is the number of the port on the REMOTE host
> (the one you're logging into) which will be opened in a LISTEN
> state.  The last number is the port on "localhost" to which the
> connection will be tunneled.

and for a completlly different solution try a VPN. I use openvpn. I've
used it to tunnel throuhg a firewall - only the openvpn port needs to be
passed through, and if you're not on an authorized box you don't use my
LAN for anything. No broken wep (or even worse, completely open wireless
network).

I use it from dialup (dynamic IP) to ADSL (static IP) and ADSl (dynamic)
to static.

It gives me commplete transparent access to LANs on either side (I am
the administrator for all systems;  others have more controlled access).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait