Wireless cards

Brian Fahrlander Brian at Fahrlander.net
Thu Jun 30 04:16:20 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 20:34 -0700, jdow wrote:
> From: "John Summerfied" <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>
>
> > I have a couple of Prism54 cards that work well.  Some (at least)
> > Atheros-based cards are fine, and I note d-link is now labelling its
> > product to indicate which use TI, which use Atheros.
>
> Um, do you have the Linux driver for those atheros chips or are you
> using NDIS? And do you use WPA? My laptop will need to be WPA aware
> with the D-Link Atheros chipset three band beastie. (At least it will
> "someday.") I have the pieces. But it looks like I'll have to rebuild
> the Atheros stuff I have with the WPA files as well. Poo what a (small)
> annoyance.

   Ya know, the way to sell cards of the vendors would be to suggest the
ones that work w/o NDIS on this list....and every other Linux list you
can find.

   Right now I couldn't possibly afford a laptop, but things can and
will change...and I'd like to know ahead of time.  In short:

   What kind of wireless card (say, the basic 11mps type) should I buy?

   Anyone?  Is there a series of decent gear?

Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller