SSH trickery using -R

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) stymar at lucent.com
Thu Jun 30 14:58:01 UTC 2005

> I don't expect any sort of good performance.  I merely would like to
> have access to a machine behind a plethora of networking hardware, for
> remote management.  I know that this is not an optimal
> solution, but for
> the short run, it works well.

I use this technique and get suprisingly good performance.
I supplemented this technique with a small program which runs
under cron and checks the link from the initiating side.   It
reestablishes the link if it goes away.  Used with the -N option
to ssh, you can just set up the port forwarding without the
ssh session being up.

Source for the program is at:

http://www.swlink.net/~styma/SunAtHome/sshKeepAlive.html