File Types and Associations ???

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Thu Jun 30 16:57:21 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:

> Scott Talbot wrote:
>
>> Duncan Lithgow wrote:

>>> If you right click on a file and dig around a bit you'll find the
>>> options, you may need privelages to change it though. Both gnome and
>>> KDE
>>> have a central graphic dialogue where all associations can be changed -
>>> have a look around. In KDE it's Control Center > KDE Componants > File
>>> Associations
>>>

>>    In GNOME, right click the file, select properties. Open the open
>> with tab. Select from the list of applications, or press the Add
>> button, if your app is not in the box already.
>>
>> Scott
>>
> Nice explanation. How does one add to the list?
> For example, I downloaded Adobe Acrobat, and it
> installed itself as /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread
> but when I try using Gnome to open PDF files, it
> lists
>
> Open With->Other Application->(select one of)
>
> ggv                    not in menu
> GNOME PDF VIEWER       in menu for "PDF document"
> xpdf                   not in menu
>
> So there seems not to be an option to use it.
> I'm sure there is a way to configure this, but
> it isn't obvious. There is a button there
>
> "You can configure which programs are offered
> for which file types in the File Types and Programs
> dialog. ...... go there"
>
> Clicking that brings up a dialog box which has
> a "browse" button. But browsing down to
> acroread and installing it removes the path
> information. For example, looking right now,
> I see "acroread" is in there. I put it in there
> with the browse, but it doesn't show up as an
> option for opening, nor as the default.
>
> Mike

    Go into the properties dialog and select the  Open With tab . Find
the ADD button near the bottom. Another dialog will open that will list
all the apps in your Menus.  If Acroread did not install an icon, select
the "use a custom command" just under the "menu-selector box". You
should now see a standard Gnome- file selector box, just navigate to
/usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread and select Open - That's it!

Scott