Killing idle SSH sessions?

Brandon Laing blaing at vancoservices.com
Thu Jun 30 18:55:25 UTC 2005

John,

Could you go into a bit more detail about this? I'm talking about any
kind of remote login via SSH, be it from a Windows or Linux system. I'd
just like to find a way for SSH to kill the session after 15 minutes of
inactivity to make sure someone doesn't leave an open session up on
their screen logged into a critical system.

John Summerfied wrote:

Hey list,

    I'm curious to know if there is a way to have SSH kill idle sessions
    after a set time in Fedora 2 and 3. I've been looking around and
    haven't really found any way of doing this. The closest settings
    I've found are these:

I think bash provides that capability (but it applies whether you
connect via ssh or login at tty1).