File Types and Associations ???

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Thu Jun 30 20:35:17 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:

> Scott Talbot wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> [I wrote]
>
>>> Nice explanation. How does one add to the list?
>>> For example, I downloaded Adobe Acrobat, and it
>>> installed itself as /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread
>>> but when I try using Gnome to open PDF files, it
>>> lists
>>>
>>> Open With->Other Application->(select one of)
>>>
>>> ggv                    not in menu
>>> GNOME PDF VIEWER       in menu for "PDF document"
>>> xpdf                   not in menu
>>>
>>> So there seems not to be an option to use it.
>>> I'm sure there is a way to configure this, but
>>> it isn't obvious. There is a button there
>>>
>>> "You can configure which programs are offered
>>> for which file types in the File Types and Programs
>>> dialog. ...... go there"
>>>
>>> Clicking that brings up a dialog box which has
>>> a "browse" button. But browsing down to
>>> acroread and installing it removes the path
>>> information. For example, looking right now,
>>> I see "acroread" is in there. I put it in there
>>> with the browse, but it doesn't show up as an
>>> option for opening, nor as the default.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>
>>    Go into the properties dialog and select the  Open With tab . Find
>> the ADD button near the bottom. Another dialog will open that will
>> list all the apps in your Menus.  If Acroread did not install an
>> icon, select the "use a custom command" just under the "menu-selector
>> box". You should now see a standard Gnome- file selector box, just
>> navigate to /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread and select Open - That's
>> it!
>>
> When I go to the properties dialog box I get these options:
>
>    GNOME PDF VIEWER
>    OTHER APPLICATION
>
> I see no "add button".
>
> If I select GNOME PDF VIEWER, it comes up and does its thing.
> If I select OTHER APPLICATION, I get the dialog I mentioned above.
> There is no "add" button on that dialog box. That box has these buttons
>
>    for "ggv" there is a "Modify" button (I can select which of 3 to
> modify)
>    for "File types and programs" there is a "Go there" button which
> acts as
>       described above
>    at the bottom are "Help", "Cancel", and "Ok"
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Mike

    Sorry, I think I assumed you were using FC3 or 4.  The answer is in
the dialog you saw when you selected "go there" from the context menu.
It has been many months since I have used that.  Same with the File
Types and programs!  Don't worry that it doesn't display the full path
once acroread is selected though, Fedora knows where it is at.  If you
want to be sure you could make a link somewhere, say in /usr/bin, that
would at least make it easier to find.  To do that, Open a terminal, cd
to /usr/bin and issue the command
ln -s /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread .
make sure you include that final period - it points to the current
directory.

    Any way try that out, and I'll see if I can massage my memory cells
a bit more...

Scott