File permissions when ftp

Jay Paulson jpaulson at sedl.org
Thu Mar 3 13:48:44 UTC 2005

>>> Try this:
>>> # cd my-upload-directory
>>> # chgrp www .
>>> # chmod 2775 .
>>>
>>> See how that goes.
>>>

>> That worked!  However, what is odd is that user1 is using Dreamweaver
>> to upload files and user2 is using Fugu to upload files.  When using
>> Fugu it writes the file with permissions of 644.  However, if user2
>> uses Dreamweaver to upload the file it's permissions are set to 664
>> which is correct.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Maybe Dreamweaver explicitly sets the permissions of the files? Which
> FTP server are you using?
>
> Try using a command-line FTP client and experiment logging in as each
> user and writing a file to the upload area. What permissions do they
> get?

I tried it several different ways and Fugu was the only one that did
weird things.  However, I did find that it is a bug in the Fugu program
itself

https://lists.ccs.neu.edu/pipermail/scponly/2004-October/000621.html

But now that I have set the group and the permissions to the directory
to 2775 Apache doesn't like it and I get a 403 Forbidden error and I
don't know why.

jay