Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Sat Mar 5 21:00:29 UTC 2005

> If it did, it wouldn't be Linux.  I'm sure if you really wanted to
> hack the startup scripts and take things like syslogd, and a hand full
> of other daemons or background them you could save a few seconds.
> However, Linux's roots is Unix and Unix runs on computers that stay up
> 24/7.  If you don't shutdown, just log off and turn your monitor off,
> it will be as fast, if not faster than Windows.

You really don't want to shutdown your computer that often anyway.
Startup and shutdown are stressful on your hardware. The more you do it
the higher your chance of something dying. An example being that most
computer's fans don't keep going after the computer is shutdown. During
the time from when you shutdown, until the computer has naturally
cooled, the insides of your computer are exposed to increased high
tempertures.

--
Michael <mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu>
http://kavlon.org