Converting Lotus 123 files

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Mon Mar 7 00:03:27 UTC 2005

David Curry wrote:

> Robert L Cochran wrote:
>
>> Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 18:44:22 +0100
>>> "J.L. Coenders" <fedora at universalgrid.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> [Lotus 123 files]

>>> That's news to me.  I routinely open the .wk1 files generated by
>>> Lotus 123
>>> (on my HP 200LX palmtop) in Open Office.  Just use File/Open like you
>>> would for a regular Open Office spreadsheet.
>>>
>>> Admittedly, the spreadsheets I make on my HP aren't obscenely
>>> complex, but
>>> I;ve had no real trouble opening them.  What sort of problems are you
>>> having?
>>>

>> OpenOffice (OO) calc does seem to have a converter for Lotus 1-2-3
>> files, but I have not needed to use it myself. OO opens Excel
>> spreadsheets just fine, with the exception that it cannot open those
>> of my wife's spreadhseets which have more than 33,000 or so rows (the
>> actual number is 32,767 or so.) She has numerous Excel documents with
>> more than 60,000 rows. And complains that Excel can't do as many rows
>> as she wants, too.
>>
>> Bob Cochran
>>
> Try Gnumeric, Bob.  It does handle more rows than oo.o and can take
> wk1 format.

Thank you, this persuaded me to install Gnumeric and I have it running
now with one of my wife's old spreadsheets. This one has 47,939 rows.
The spreadsheet itself is 32 Mb big. I can see all the rows too! I
checked the Help but can't seem to find the maximum number or rows it
can take for a spreadsheet.

Bob