FC3 ipw2200 configuration problem

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Mar 7 00:36:22 UTC 2005

Awhile back I setup a Toshiba Tecra M2 laptop with FC3.  It has the
2200bg centrino wireless chip set.  At that time I had trouble getting
it configured to work until I used the NetworkManager package.

That has been working fairly well.  However I had a problem getting a
VPN package to work with the wired connection.  Would work find over
wireless but not over the wired connection.

This weekend I upgraded the laptop with the latest packages and kernel.

Also I wanted to try shutting down NetworkManager to see if I could get
the wired VPN connection working as expected.

Results so far are very frustrating.  The VPN did not work on the wired
connection.  Same odd failure, the DNS resolution does not work, it
times out.  IP connectivity over the VPN works just fine, but I am
unable to resolve anything with the DNS servers.

At this point I said fine let me get back the wireless connection so I
can do work Monday.

This failed.  Now the system is insisting that the wireless device does
not exist.  I have tried various things to get the system to see it
again including modprobe ipw2200  and trying to get kudzu to see the
device.

Since it does not show up in the list of options in the network tool it
can not be built directly there.

Last time around I was at least able to get the wireless device to scan
for APs even though it never seemed to be able to get a connection.
NetworkManager was able to get the connection.  Now it does not even see
the wireless device for some reason.

Anyone have some ideas on this?  I can really use the help.

Thanks.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

"The lymbic system in my brain is so electrically active, it qualifies
 as a third brain.  Normal humans have two brains, left and right.

	- Jeff Merkey