Don't Waste Time on Fedora Mailing List Archive Searches - Search Engine Broken

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Wed Mar 9 01:33:40 UTC 2005

Matt Florido wrote:

> David Curry wrote:
>
>> Subject thread says it all.
>> The basis for my assertion is many experiences trying to find
>> information in fedora archives.  Today, I made notes of steps in
>> trying to find information in   fedora-config-list archives and
>> conducting quite a few searches for messages dealing with pup.  I
>> asked for searches on all sections, on keywords, on title, and on
>> body.  I asked for searches of the entire archive and for searches on
>> a couple of individual months.  In every case the result was the same
>> - 0 hits.  I searched on pup + yum and again 0 hits on pup with a few
>> hits on yum.
>

> [...]
>

>> The Red Hat archive search engine is broken, broken, broken.
>>

> I've experienced something similar, but it's not broken.  Try the
> extended search or just entering your search query again after it
> returns the initial 0 found.
>
> Works for me.
>
> I found ~2000 hits for fedora-config-list.

Thanks for the feedback, Matt.  With extended search I got 25 hits, all
of which were not relevant to yum or updating packages.  One was a
reference to experiences "as a young pup", eniac, altair, etc., several
pointed to messages concerning a book entitled "Practical Unix
Programming" and the rest contained references to "pup up the volume".
Entering the search query again after an initial return of 0 found,
returned 0 -- again, and again, and again.

If Fedora archive searches work for you (sometimes) and for Rahul, but
not for me then they are not completely broken -- just random, blatantly
unreliable events.