Problem with KVM and USB mouse

Jan Morales jan at geezjan.org
Wed Mar 9 11:40:03 UTC 2005

I am experiencing some frustration using a KVM and a USB mouse, which I
am finding is not unusual. I have searched the archives and bugzilla and
I haven't found any mention of my particular issue.

What happens is that, under normal use, the mouse will freeze
intermittently, but often enough to make it unusable. After reboot, the
mouse will work well for several minutes, but after the first freeze
they will recur very frequently. What appears in dmesg when the freeze
occurs is dozens of the following line:

drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: input irq status -84 received

The red light in the mouse turns off. The mouse will light up and
unfreeze when I switch the KVM to the other PC and back to this one. The
following lines are recorded in dmesg when I do this:

usb 3-1.1: USB disconnect, address 18
usb 3-1.1.1: USB disconnect, address 19
usb 3-1.1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 20
hub 3-1.1:1.0: USB hub found
hub 3-1.1:1.0: 4 ports detected
usb 3-1.1.1: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 21
input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with
IntelliEye(TM)] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-1.1.1

As I said, once I do this the mouse will work for a very short time,
usually less than a minute, before freezing again. I tried disabling
hyperthreading and running the non-smp kernel, but the freezing occurs
either way.

Is there a patch, fix, workaround, etc. for this?

I have attached my startup dmesg output. The system is a Dell Dimension
8400 running FC3, up to date. The KVM switch is a Belkin OmniView SOHO
Series 2-Port KVM Switch with Audio (F1DD102U). The mouse is a USB MS
Optical Mouse. The Windows system on the other end of this KVM does not
exhibit this problem.

P.S. As an aside, if anyone can recommend a KVM for DVI, USB or PS/2,
that actually works at 1600x1200, 60Hz on a 20" LCD display, I'd love to
hear about it. This unit has one other serious flaw, but it's not
FC-related. I have tried two other KVMs which were actually worse.

Jan