SLOW portmapper startup (when using NIS)

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Wed Mar 9 16:47:31 UTC 2005

Toralf Lund wrote:
> I think it does, but I *want* "nis files". See my reply to the other
> reply ;-)

First, you should try if "files nis" fixes the problem.

You could have two nsswitch files.

Modify the startup scripts so that "files nis" are used first during
boot, and modify /etc/init.d/ypbind so that nsswitch.conf is overwritten
with a "nis files" version after NIS has been started.

But this is a hack. I would always have "files nis".

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk