What goes in /etc/hosts?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Mar 10 18:36:38 UTC 2005

Am Do, den 10.03.2005 schrieb Nat Gross um 18:02:

> When you say append .local, is that referring to all machines on the
> local net, or only to this one local host. In other words, for the other
> hosts on the lan, do I also need to append .local?

> -nat

.local is an official TLD part for private address space. It does not
cover only the single local host but can be used for your whole LAN,
i.e. kitchen.homearea.local, floor.homearea.local,
mediaserver.homearea.local, ... So if you use fully qualified host names
in your LAN, not only short names, either with just plain /etc/hosts
files or your local DNS server, you can use .local as the TLD suffix,
which will not collide with any public name space.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp
Serendipity 19:32:22 up 23:44, 16 users, 0.42, 0.51, 0.45