FC3 Installation Failure

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 04:12:59 UTC 2005

Kumara wrote:
> Greetings!,
> Hi all,
> I tried an FC3 installation in a box with Pentium iii processor, Gigabyte
> M'd with VIA chip on it, ATi graphics card, 20GB HDD, 128 MBs SDRAM.
> I am going to make a dual boot configuration with XP, I divided the HDD in
> to two partitions (10GBX2), XP resides in the first partition and I tried
> FC3 (as a Server) in the other partition.
> It advised me to make ready Disk #1,2 and 3. The installation went quite
> well and asked me CD #2, it also ran some more,
> Then, Suddenly! it issued a message box saying that "A fatal error occurred,
> this may be due to hardware failure or disk space. press OK to reboot the
> system." I pressed OK, then system rebooted, there are 10GB space for this
> installation. it is not enough space?
> I don't understand why it failed to install
> Could someone pay your attention to me? Do you need any more details?
> Thank you
> Mohan

Only 10 GB? That's pretty low, if you ask me. But more to the point, I
think your disk is showing its age--and with such a low capacity I
suspect it even more. The "hardware failure" message gave me the clue--I
think that hard disk is going bad and you'll have to get another one.
When hard disks fail, it first looks like a quirky boot--until the day
when it won't boot at all, and you're lucky if you can boot in rescue
mode and do an scp -r to another machine on your network to rescue your
content. As I know only too well.

And one more thing: you don't want any disk any smaller than 120 GB for
a dual-boot configuration with WinXP. Trust me on that one.

Fortunately, HDD's that size come at about a dollar a gigabyte--the
bigger the drive, the more bang for the buck.

Temlakos