Fedora core 3 / XP dual boot

Bart Couvreur bercie23 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 13 11:15:12 UTC 2005

--- "Irving, Dave" <Dave.Irving at logicacmg.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I went out yesterday and bought myself a new laptop
> (HP Pavilion
> ze2000), which came with XP installed.
> So, first thing to do: get Fedora 3 on it of course!
> I'd really like to dual boot it - and after reading
> the red-hat docs, Im
> still not totally sure what to do....
> My hard drive is not currently partitioned.
> Do I need to partition it pre install, or will it be
> possible to
> partition during install? (if so, will I be given
> the option as to how
> much free room to leave on the XP partition, and is
> the partitioning
> non-destructive?).
>
> Would be really grateful for any advice....
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,

Start with defragmenting your xp-drive so you have
enough free space toghether on your drive and
everything can happen non-destructive.

I would resize the xp-drive pre-install with qtparted
on the system rescue cd (http://www.sysresccd.org/),
because fedora cant't do this on its own (or not that
I know). This gives you the free space for fedora.

After that start the fedora install, which will allow
you to do futher partioning of your fedora
installation.

For the dual boot: use grub in the master boot record,
never had problems with it!

This is the way I do all my fedora installs on
xp-boxes, and I never had a problem with it.

Ciao
Bart