Fedora core 3 / XP dual boot

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Mar 13 14:21:17 UTC 2005

Irving, Dave wrote:
> Thanks Stuart and Bart - I was worried about that and your replies gave
> me the confidence to continue :o)
> Clearly though, I am being very dumb today...
> I highlighted my /dev/hda1 partition in qtparted, selected "resize",
> changed the space to 30Gig and hit OK.
> I immediately got an error message in qtparted "Filesystem check failed!
> Totally 1 cluster accounting mismatches".
> Do you know what this means and what I can do to remedy it?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Dave

I have an HP pavilion and successfully shrunk the partition with
Mandrake 9. I defragged the XP system, then used diskdrake (their
partition manager program to shrink the partition size. It worked pretty
good and XP remained intact for me.
Their program is pretty easy to use.
After resizing the hda1 partition, I switched to the FC installation
disks and let the installer do the rest. I split the size between XP as
in the linux fdisk output below.
I haven't had much luck using qtparted on two different computers. I
wanted to shrink my hardly used XP installation even more. I got a
similar error as you described above.

Just another alternative.

One note about HP laptops:
I need to pass acpi=on to my laptop to get my system to boot properly.
This opption might help you with the problem booting the rescue CD. I
include this option in all my grub.conf entries. Sometimes FC turns off
acpi and the computer refuses to boot.

Jim

--
My computer, my documents, my briefcase, my ASS!

    -- Ben Cook