fedora-list at redhat.com

ryan ryanag at zoominternet.net
Sun Mar 13 10:47:57 UTC 2005

Rick Meyer wrote:

>Yep...., except that the real information that is being transmitted by the
>firewall is inside an encrypted VPN.  Also the file system itself is
>encrypted.  The firewall won't accept SSH from just any system.  It's locked
>down.   I'm just trying to make it extremely difficult for an unauthorized
>user to get access to it.
>
>Rick.

I meant that the attacker can SSH into their seperate sniffing machine.

The VPN setup helps as lot, but still doesn't protect you. Once the
attacker figures out that you are running a VPN, they can just crash (or
steal) your system.

Worse, they can steal your hard drive. Even assuming you've encrypted
important stuff, this is still a big enough issue to force you to re-do
everything (how long will you encryption be good for, until it can be
easily broken? 1 year? 10 years?).

With physical access to the machine reasonably possible, you have to
make the assumption that any attacker can gain control of your system,
if they are willing to break and enter to do so.

You need to think about what else at these locations is not secured, and
their relative value. Also consider how many strangers wander these
buildings, or is it the same old people all the time.

If there are things of greater business importance than your firewall
not secured, I think its an organizational problem. If only your
firewalls are in unlocked closets, it sounds like you need some good ol'
physical access control. A nice lock, alarm system, and webcam would
probably take far less time to setup, and be less dangerous to your
network, than disabling everything on your firewall machines. ;-)