FC3 wireless support on IPW2200 Tecra M2

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Mar 14 00:07:13 UTC 2005

Been fighting this problem off and on for the past month or two.

FC3 system running 770 kernel on a Tecra M2 laptop with the 2200BG
centrino wireless chip set.

Loaded the firware package and have been able to get the system to
recognize the wireless hardware.  Configuration of the wireless seems to
work, can set the essid and wep key as well as the channel info.

Can even run iwlist scan and see the local APs in the area.

So the hardware seems like it works.

However I can successfully get a connection doing an ifup eth1 on the
interface.

In the past I have loaded the NetworkManager packages and it seems to
work some of the time.  Occasionally it would just keep sweeping, still
shows the list of APs it sees, but it never gets a connection.

This weekend it stopped working again but this time it does not appear
to want to start working again.

I've about given up on this and am thinking about loading FC2 on the
laptop.  FC2 on the Dell laptop I have does not appear to have any of
these problems with the wireless configuration.

Tail from the messages file on the last attempt I made.

Currently I need to get my other system ready for work in the morning.
:(

Mar 13 18:52:34 circularsaw NetworkManager: FORCE: device
'/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/eth1', network 'workbench'
Mar 13 18:52:36 circularsaw NetworkManager:     SWITCH: need to
associate with new access point or create a wireless network.
Mar 13 18:52:36 circularsaw NetworkManager: Activation (eth1) started...
Mar 13 18:52:37 circularsaw NetworkManager: Activation (eth1/wireless):
access point 'workbench' is encrypted, and a key exists.  No new key
needed.
Mar 13 18:52:41 circularsaw NetworkManager: Activation (eth1/wireless):
using essid 'workbench', with Open System authentication.
Mar 13 18:52:52 circularsaw NetworkManager: Activation (eth1/wireless):
using essid 'workbench', with Shared Key authentication.
Mar 13 18:52:59 circularsaw NetworkManager: Activation (eth1/wireless):
waiting for an access point.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Seattle is so wet that people protect their property with watch-ducks.