Lan to Wan reprise

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Mon Mar 14 01:16:10 UTC 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:58:34 -0500, Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 19:33 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:

>> Now, if I could just figure out where the block is
>> between my Lan and my Wan ---
>>

> That just about has to be "something" in the iptables setup.   The LAN
> machines get to the firewall box.  The firewall box gets to the
> internet.  But the LAN boxes don't get passed through.
>
> It would need to be related to 1) ip forwarding,  2) ip masquerading aka
> NAT, or 3) otherwise blocking.
>
> I have not looked at your script, and am not an expert on iptables
> scripts anyway but I can identify the location and likely part
> containing the problem.
>
> One approach may be to set up tcpdump to capture a small part of a
> session that should work but does not, then analyze it to see what is
> blocking the passthrough.

I'm reading up on how to set up some sort of trace to log what's going on
as I write.

I hope someone who's an iptables guru can find the time to look through my
script. I have the feeling this is a case of "The Purloined Letter". The
answer is in front of my face but after 18 hours of fighting this, I'm
blind ---

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA