EMERGENCY - need to secure my server against an ongoing SPAMMER

Bob Brennan rbrennan96 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 12:47:03 UTC 2005

> > My remaining problems are:
> > 1) how to open up *safe* relays for legitimate users, the preferred
> > method being pop-b4-smtp because it is widely supported.
>
> Surely SMTP AUTH is now as widely supported? It's certainly more
> standards-based.
>
> Paul.

I have pretty much given up on pop-before-smtp and find that it is
poorly documented even on the sendmail.org site and apparently either
vaguely implemented or not implemented at all in the latest Sendmail
(the best I could find was HACK(popb4smtp).

SMTP_AUTH is the alternative method supported by Outlook, which is the
most commonly used MUA amongst my users so I will give that a try
next. My preference for pop-b4-smtp is that it requires only a single
tick in a box in most MUAs, and for grandma that in itself can be a
challenge ;-)

Thanks,
bob