Multiple DHCP'd addresses on one NIC

Pasha e97665728 at 013.net
Mon Mar 14 15:36:03 UTC 2005

Aaron O'Hara wrote:

>I have my firewall connected to my cable modem with one a single NIC.
>(I have another NIC for my LAN).  My public NIC is set to DHCP an
>address from my ISP.
>
>Is it possible with Fedora to setup multiple virtual adapters that have
>unique MAC addresses (that I generate) that all DHCP an address from my
>ISP?  This way, I'd have multiple public IPs bound to one physical
>adapter.
>
>Of course I'm going to want to firewall all the virtual adapters as
>well.
>
>The end goal is to have multiple SSL-enabled sites (which need to have
>their own IP).
>
>-- Aaron

You don't have to tweak a MAC address for this. DHCP uses a MAC address
as a key only if the client does not send client ID or use a conjunction
of client ID and MAC address. I don't remember the specific options, but
it is possible to configure a DHCP client to send different client ID
for different aliased interfaces.

Also note, that cable modems have a restriction on number of MAC/IP
address pairs they forward. Most modems have a restriction of 16
addresses, but it can be reduced administratively by cable operator.