Redirect Grub or copy new boot

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Mar 14 17:10:02 UTC 2005

Mark Sargent wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>> Mark Sargent wrote:
>>
>>> Paul, yes, had to change the ID number for the partition label. But,
>>> what I don't un, is, why when I partitioned within the install
>>> process, it didn't label it correctly. Anyway, I'm in, Paul, and that
>>> makes me a happy camper. Thank you, Paul. You've been very patient
>>> with me. Cheers.
>>

>> What's the history of that partition on your system? How was it
>> created? Was it at some point changed from NTFS to ext3, or was it
>> created by a Linux installer?
>>
>> Paul.
>>
> Hi All,
>
> Paul, b4 partitioning with diskdruid during the installation process, I
> had used QtParted to format it as ext2 for a tohd install of Knoppix3.7.
> That format wiped the NTFS win2kserver trial ver install(I hadn't even
> considered using it in over 6mths). Cheers.

So it's conceivable that /dev/hda5 was created as a 4G NTFS partition
for the trial win2kserver install, was reformatted as ext2 without
changing the partition type by Knoppix and similarly again by the Fedora
installer?

I guess the moral of the story is the widely-offered tip of "create
partitions in the OS that's going to use them".

Paul.