How do I make my own domain in Linux

Ankush Grover ankush174 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 16:59:02 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:10:45 +0300, Kumara <kumara.jayaweera at damad.com> wrote:

> [...]

Hey,

 i have same setup where there some linux clients and some windows
client.On samba server i have done entry like this

domain = server
password server = name of the windows 2000/2003 domain controller

then give this command

net rpc join -U administrator

Create the same users on samba machine and windows users will be able
to access their home directories and other share folders without
prompting any password by samba server as the samba server will
authenticate the users with the windows 2000 /2003
server .But you need to create the users on samba server the same
users as they are on windows 2000 domain.

For linux clients you can do is that you can create the users with the
same uid as on samba server.

For ex suppose there is a user kumara on windows 2000 domain.

Now you will create kumara user on samba server and on linux client
you have to create the kumara user with the same uid as that of samba
user.

Map the home directories of the samba users on the local linux pc

means mapping the /home/kumara directory on the local linux pc on
which user kumara wants to access.

In this way if any user who wants to access the samba from the windows
can see the data as well as he can access the data from the linux
client .You will see the same data both the times as ur accessing the
same directory from the linux client as well as from the windows
client.

It may be possible that you are not looking for this kind of setup but
may be in future you can require this.

If anything is not clear you can revert back.

Regards

Ankush